the family movie
time: 8.53pm
Today on my way back to hall, my mum was talking about something she saw on a hk drama series. In it, the actors were talking about how the life of a family is like a movie. And in this movie, the main characters are always the children. From childhood to teenagers and finally adults, it was always about them while the parents took back seat as supporting cast.
While parents seldom think twice about doing things for their children, children are full of complaints when they have to give up their time for their parents. While not all children are like that, I think everyone is in some way guilty of it. Of placing your parents in second place when it fits our interest.
"When you are a parent, you will understand"
That's what my mum told me. And after agreeing with her, I simply fell silent. Because the truth seldom has to be repeated. Even today, coming back to hall with me, my mum could have simply refused cause there was a show on TV she wanted to watch. When my dad reminded her of the show and I started apologising cause it didnt occur to me that she wanted to watch it, she simply said " Its ok, my daughter is more important than the show."
How often have I taken my parents for granted, angered them or shut them out of my life. Though I feel that I'm much better than before, but often I still need to remind myself. I couldn't be more grateful for a family as close as mine. Where there are no secrets and everyone shares. Why I want to go home every weekend is because of who's at home. I look forward to the little time I can spent with my brother, sitting on his bed talking to him, having his disturb me and my stuff toys. Dinners, where everyone sits together to eat, talk or just be in each other's presence. I used to lament the inquisitive nature of my mother, always asking who my friends were, who I went out with, what time I ended classes...but now, its second nature. Instead, I try to share with my mum what I have been up to, what may seem insignificant can still be told, cause its what makes up a conversation.
I try and I may not always succeed. By nature, I'm still someone who draws into my shell at times. But still, im thankful for the family i have. I guess when i see my family, it is exactly how I would want my own to be next time. (:
Its the end of another weekend. sigh. And i dont know how i will survive the following week, but i will!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home