Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Happy Children's Day!

time: 3.20pm

Happy Children's Day!

The only reason why we can stay at home on this day and not go school is because its Hari Raya. Still for a moment, let us pretend that its cause we are 10 year olds.

I remember how children day eve was. Teachers would give us little gifts of sweets, chocolates and pens. Some would give us present in forms of homework while others would write us little notes. Not one particular gift remains a vivid memory in my mind, but I know it was fun, being a kid.

Just the other day I was on the train and I heard this lower sec girl talking to her friend.

" My mum gives me $3 a day lor, then she wouldnt give me any lunch money on sats"

How much were you given when you were sec 1?

I honestly cant remember.  Haha But I know I was given a dollar back in primary school. every morning my mum would give me $1 worth of loose change(yes, that sounds damns little now. Imagine receiving 2 20 cents, 1 10 cent, 1 50 cent, and be asked to survive a day). I would put it into my little black clip coin purse and let it sink right to the bottom of my deep deep pinafore pocket.

Canteen food was cheap. Recess was short. Have you ever wondered why Singaporean tend to eat so quickly? We can finish a meal in under 30 mins. That's cause primary schools train us for it.

Recess time: 20 Mins

Bell rings, everyone runs down,*quick quick*, buy your food, sit down, eat, bring your bowl to the wash counter and put them in metal basins according to the store, recess ends.

Seriously. That's fast eating.

Until I was primary 4, I had to call home every time I wanted to drink a cold drink or eat ice cream. Talk about discipline. While I could have easily just done it behind my mum's back, the little angel(that disappeared with age) in me said otherwise. So I would spend 5 mins queuing for the phone with a 10 cent coin clutch in my hand, always a little nervous that my mum would say no and deprive me of my treat. That theoretically leaves me with 15 mins of recess. lol

I bet kids nowadays will just whip out handphones out of their pockets to call home.

I cant help thinking about primary school on this day. I miss the innocence of youth, but I dont think i will wan to relive it. Some things are meant to be left as memories and I think its always more fun to look forward. (:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home